The Event Development Certificate is designed for both seasoned professionals in the event and meeting planning industry as well as for individuals with little or no event experience.
It is offered as a 16 week program that meets on Fridays and Saturdays every other weekend with an overall goal of teaching students how to plan a successful event from start to finish. This program includes 115 total hours of instruction and is taught by qualified event professionals, most of whom hold an industry certification.
Students will learn to:
- Develop a strategic plan for an event
- Assess and manage the entire financial process
- Select an appropriate site and design scheme
- Market the event to the target audience
- Engage volunteers and staff in the success of the event
- Identify, analyze and manage risks and security issues
- Incorporate sustainability practices into event planning process
Why choose the Duke Event Development Certificate program?
- Delivers one of the most comprehensive classroom-based event management curriculums in North Carolina with over 100 course hours
- Incorporates emerging industry trends such as sustainability, event related apps and social media platforms
- Challenges students to apply material learned in the classroom to the design of an event
- Integrates site visits to different event venues to reinforce classroom instruction
*While this program is intended to cover the international standards of meeting/event planning at the topical level, supporting details focused upon in the classroom may be relevant to the event resources available in the United States.