Human Resource Management
The role of the Human Resources Department in organizations has grown exponentially over the last decade. Specialized professional training, such as certification, is critical for those practicing in the Human Resource field, in order to keep pace with the demands of the industry.
Employment growth for Human Resources Managers is projected to be a very healthy 21% thru 2020, which is on par with most medical professions, according to The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. If you mix their job outlook scores with their income levels (19th on our Jobs Rated list) and throw in the low physical demands, relatively safe work environment and low-to-moderate stress levels, HR Managers should rightly be listed as a Best Job." (Career Cast, 2012)
Recognized for over ten years as an affiliated university partner by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), the Duke Human Resource Management Program addresses the ongoing challenges of today’s professional by providing preparation training for both the Professional In Human Resources (PHR) and Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) examination. These national examinations are administered by the Human Resources Certification Institute (HRCI).
Why get certified in HR? Click here to find out.
This program proudly uses the official SHRM Learning System® for PHR®/SPHR® Certification Preparation.
The SHRM Learning System® for PHR®/SPHR® Certification Preparation also features an Online Learning Center, which offers a wealth of supplemental study materials including:
- Quickstarts - guided overviews for each module highlight key topics
- Assessment - identifies topics a participant already knows and those areas that require more time and attention
- Tests - more than 1,000 questions for continually testing knowledge and comprehension
- Post-test - weighted and balanced to mimic the scored PHR/SPHR exam; presented in the style and format used by the HR Certification Institute
- Online Resource Center - includes downloadable audio and web casts, flashcards (printed, online or audio), HR updates, related links, feedback feature and more.
- Access the SHRM Learning System® for PHR®/SPHR® Certification Preparation via your PC, laptop, your mobile device, or e-reader device making it easy to study wherever and whenever you have time.
Attention: The SHRM Body of Knowledge has undergone updates effective January 2012.
Beginning in 2011, exam eligibility experience requirements changed based on level of education. Visit the Human Resource Certification Institute at HRCI.org for details.
According to the Human Resource Certification Institute, "if you're an HR professional, when you become HR certified, you
- show you know the most current principles and core practices of HR management
- become more marketable when you compete for top HR positions
- raise your professional confidence among your staff and your peers"
Utilizing the official SHRM Learning System® for PHR®/SPHR® Certification Preparation, the Duke preparation program will provide training in the six key areas of human resource management (known as the body of knowledge).
Additionally, the Duke program is offered in a blended learning format of traditional classroom lecture and online tests/exercises that develop specific competencies and decision-making skills.
The program is offered in Raleigh and Durham one night per-week over 10 weeks during February and September.
Why Choose the Duke HR Management preparation program?
- Instructors are SPHR certified
- Only university in the area recognized by the national SHRM organization to offer PHR/SPHR exam preparation program
- Ten years plus experience offering PHR/SPHR exam preparation
- Recognized by SHRM on numerous occasions as having achieved a100% pass rate for either PHR or SPHR exam during a specific exam term
- Access to online practice exercises/tests for 18 months from program start date
- Programs offered in two locations in the evenings for your convenience: Durham and Raleigh
- Certificate of completion from Duke University – a renowned educational institution
Who should attend?
- Experienced HR Professionals desiring an exam review course for the PHR/SPHR exams
This program is not a substitute for a general course of HR study.
Topics covered are intended for review by experienced HR professionals.