Paralegal Online Program
This certificate program is designed for individuals who are seeking a career change and the skill set for a successful transition into the paralegal profession. The Duke Online Paralegal Program is a 300-hour course of study designed to train students in the aspects of the profession most in demand and most desired by attorneys.
This program is offered entirely online, as a self-paced program. There are no defined due dates or deadlines. Students have one year to complete the coursework in its entirety.
A minimum of a US level two-year associate degree is required for application for this program.
Here are some advantages of the online program:
- Self-paced, online program allows flexibility and convenience to complete the program in one year
- Website support includes lecture notes, writing labs, video tutorials, quizzes, and mock exams
- Templates and writing labs available for all 50 states so students can apply their knowledge to their locale
- Instructors, who are experienced, practicing attorneys, work one-on-one with students throughout the program to answer student questions, and grade assignments and exams
- Customized learning experience allows students to choose two of four disciplines of the law to study in addition to Essential Skills
- Curriculum created for paralegals by paralegals to teach the skills most sought after and in demand within the legal industry
- Access to Lexis Advance and Westlaw Next legal research sites with video tutorials about how to use them
- Paralegal Certificate awarded from Duke Continuing Studies upon successful program completion
- Graduate site provides access to online resources, tutorials, and templates for up to a year after program completion
The program merges the interactive, user-driven aspects of the Internet with a comprehensive paralegal curriculum. It teaches students form manipulation based on any template and instructs students in foundational skill sets. In addition, the online Writing Lab included in the program contains step-by-step instructions for preparing documents specific to the United States at a state and federal court level. As a result, the skill sets learned are transferable throughout the United States and, as such, students will learn to create valid legal documents for their jurisdiction.
The program offers the convenience of an entirely web-based curriculum, but has the advantage of offering students one-on-one contact with an instructor who is a licensed attorney. Students move at their own pace through comprehensive materials with layers of educational support including texts, chapter notes, trial tests, mock exams, legal documents templates, and many other features. The instructor will grade exams, evaluate and provide feedback on assignments, and track student progress. Additionally, by not allowing students to move forward until they’ve mastered the material, instructors are able to ensure student success. As each segment of the course is completed, students must pass an online exam. Upon successfully completing the exam, students will receive a password for the next segment. This element is unique to the Duke program and helps students stay motivated and on-track.
Note: The program curriculum is based on the United States legal system, therefore it focuses on the role of paralegals in the United States.