Paralegal Summer Intensive Program
This fast-paced, intensive certificate program is designed for individuals who are seeking a career change and the skill-set for a successful transition into the paralegal profession. The Duke Paralegal Studies Program is a comprehensive course of study designed to train students in the aspects of the profession most in demand and most desired by attorneys. The program has been designated as a “qualified program” by the NC State Bar and graduates of the program are eligible to apply for the NC State Bar Paralegal Certification Exam. The program is taught by licensed, practicing attorneys.
The Summer Intensive program meets five days a week over seven weeks for a total of 300 course hours. To succeed, students must be able to give their full-time attention to this accelerated program. A minimum of an US level two-year associate degree is required for application for this program.
The skill-based format of the Duke Paralegal Program provides students with practical training in preparation for the workplace. When students finish our program they are ready to enter the workforce as a paralegal. Each student finishes the program with a client file filled with documents prepared as part of their studies. The client file will serve as a showpiece during interviews and provide students with an end product that represents the skills they acquired through their studies in the program.
Here are some advantages of the classroom program:
- Students who successfully complete the program are qualified to apply to take the NC Paralegal Certification Exam
- Enrollment in a paralegal program that has had more students successfully take the NC Paralegal Certification Exam than any other paralegal program
- Students can embark on a new legal career in only 7 weeks
- Access to Lexis Advance and Westlaw Next legal research sites with video and classroom tutorials. Graduates have access to Lexis Advance for one year after graduation.
- Class tour with law librarian in Duke’s Goodson Law Library and assigned legal research projects enable students to become familiar with how legal research is organized in a law library setting.
- Learn from several different instructors, who are experienced, practicing attorneys
- Curriculum created for paralegals by paralegals to teach the skills most sought after and in demand within the legal industry
- Website support includes lecture notes, writing labs, video tutorials, quizzes, and mock exams
- Exam review session available at no additional cost for student prior to sitting for the NC Paralegal Certification exam
- Paralegal Certificate awarded from Duke Continuing Studies upon successful program completion
- Graduate site provides access to online resources, tutorials, and templates.
- On-site parking with parking pass included in cost of tuition
- Upon successful completion of program, Duke sends your transcript to NC Bar at no extra charge
For students who plan to move to Durham for the duration of the program, we can suggest a number of housing options. Unfortunately on-campus residence housing is not available over the summer due to the number of camps and other programs taking place on campus at the same time.
For more information on the city of Durham, NC including local restaurants, events and attractions, please visit: