The Online Certificate Program in Legal Nurse Consulting is for registered nurses (RN) who are interested in applying their medical skills and expertise to the legal field. The program's objective is to prepare registered nurses (RN) to perform analysis of health care issues and their related outcomes for the legal profession or other health care organizations. Becoming a Legal Nurse is the perfect way to combine medical knowledge and experience with the legal side.
The program is divided into six modules, which outline the essential areas of legal nurse consulting.
Module 1- Introduction to Legal Nurse Consulting
- overview of the roles of the LNC
- standards of performance for LNC
- LNC in a risk management environment
Module 2- Legal Theory and Fundamentals
- summarize and differentiate between types of law
- citing sources for standard of care cases
- informed consent for applicable jurisdictional demands
Module 3- Case Analysis for Long Term Care and Medical Malpractice
- methodology for report writing
- detecting alterations in medical records
- organization of medical records
Module 4- Case Analysis for Personal Injury and Worker's Compensation
- identifying resources for research
- citation of research resources
Module 5- LNC Role in Discovery: Trial Preparation and Forensic Nursing
- elements of the discovery phase
- preparation of demonstrative evidence and expert witnesses
- consulting for malpractice vs. criminal cases
Module 6- Business Principles
- developing a business plan
- marketing your LNC practice
- tracking billable hours
At least one assignment or test will be required for each module. Most assignments are related to or involve a single case study.
The program is completely self-paced and students will have six months to complete the program from the time of registration. Upon completion of the program, students will be eligible for up to 42 CNEs. The program has been approved for continuing nursing education (CNE) credits by the North Carolina Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Both the classroom and online Legal Nurse Consulting programs are non-credit certificate programs offered by Duke University Continuing Studies and are not affiliated with Duke University Health System.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Legal Nurse Consulting : Required Course