Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary, trans. Lydia Davis (ISBN: 978-0143106494), Penguin Classics, 2011, $12.31.
Emile Zola, Thérèse Raquin, trans. Adam Thorpe (978-0099573531), Random House UK, 2015, $11.62.
- Paper: Arches #140 cold press, at least 10” x 14.” The cost is dependent on the quantity purchased, but figure $40 for paper; $2 will buy one 11” x 15” sheet from the instructor.
- Brushes: At least three synthetic bristle brushes (#14 and #8 round; 1” flat). Creative Mark Beste brand from www.jerrysartarama.com is highly recommended. Cost is about $35.
- Paints: Tube paints are preferred. Colors: red (not cadmium), cobalt blue, lemon yellow, Hooker’s green, violet, orange, burnt sienna, indigo. Cost is under $10 per about 8 ml tube if you get a student brand: Grumbacher Academy, Lukas, or L’Aquarelle Sennelier. Watercolor sets are not recommended.
- Palette: A white plastic plate is okay, but one with wells and cover is preferred. Cost for a larger palette is around $25.
Bring from Home:
- water containers
- Viva paper towels
- roll of toilet paper
- board to back paper
- masking tape
- small spray bottle
- #2 pencils and a kneaded eraser
- paper for drawings