Back to School Sale!
Digital Media & Marketing
This online, self-paced program is designed for individuals seeking to enhance their existing digital marketing skills or pursue a new career in this growing industry. Duke Continuing Studies has partnered with Simplilearn, an online training provider, to deliver a curriculum that provides students with advanced knowledge of the eight most important digital marketing domains and includes real-world projects and virtual simulations for practical experience. Learn from some of the industry’s most recognized authors and consultants during times that fit your schedule.
For exclusive access to a product demo send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and email address in the body of the email.
Why choose the Duke Digital Media and Marketing Certificate program?
- Duke Continuing Studies is a registered education provider for OMCP, and completion of our program meets the course training criteria to sit for the OMCA and OMCP certification exams.
- The course is also aligned to Google Ads, Facebook Blueprint, Google Analytics and Microsoft Bing certification exams. Therefore, enrollees are prepared for multiple certifications that fall within the top 10 globally recognized digital marketing credentials.
- Delivers one of the most comprehensive, non-credit programs available with 350 combined instruction/study hours
- Provides the flexibility to learn on a mobile app for learning on the go, downloadable content and offline viewing
- Offers hands-on simulation labs and projects for practical learning
- Includes study guides and instructional slides for most course modules
- Successful graduates earn an additional 12 months access to all existing and new/updated material upon program completion
Curriculum & Course Details
The online Digital Media and Marketing Certificate program is comprised of the following modules:
- Digital Marketing Certified Associate (DMCA)
- (Required to be completed prior to moving on to advance modules)
- Advanced Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Advanced Content Marketing>
- Advanced Social Media
- Advanced Mobile Marketing
- Advanced Pay Per Click (PPC)
- Advanced Website Conversion Rate Optimization
- Advanced Web Analytics
- Advanced Email Marketing
- (To earn a certificate of completion, students must complete 6 of the 8 advanced modules after the DMCA prerequisite)
This program also includes the labs, tools and elective courses listed below. Tools courses are incorporated into the DMCA module; therefore, they are required for program completion. Elective courses are not required, but provide ample opportunity to supplement your learning experience during the course of the program. They are subject to change at any time
Labs: Mimic Pro and Mimic Social access will allow for integration of learned skills applied to real data and analytics to simulate both paid and social media strategies
Tools: An extensive list of tools are covered within the eight marketing domains of this program. Some of the most popular and in-demand tools include Google Ads, Google Analytics, Facebook Advertising, YouTube and Video Marketing, Twitter Advertising, Hootsuite, and Mailchimp
Elective Courses: Social, Mobile Analytics and Cloud (SMAC), Twitter Marketing and Advertising, Pinterest Marketing, Holiday PPC, Display Advertising, Digital Marketing in Asia, and Personal Branding
Additional features include:
- Live mentoring sessions that are exclusive to Duke students and are held twice per month for topics related to the program and the opportunity for Q&A from instructors
- Access to live and on-demand webinars from today’s leading marketing professionals for trending topics
What is an Online Marketing Certified Professional (OMCP)?
OMCP is a professional Online Marketing industry certification that recognizes training from a growing, vetted list of the best known education and training providers, and rewards participation in the industry’s top events in a variety of capacities.
Upon completing the first qualifying OMCP course, students interested in pursuing certification should register at www.omcp.org to have completion verified. Visit the OMCP certification website for more details.
There are two industry certifications that students may want to pursue upon completion of all or part of the Digital Media and Marketing Program. They are listed below. Please note both certifications are offered through OMCP and are not affiliated with Duke Continuing Studies; questions regarding certification should be directed to them.
OMCA™ is a valuable entry-level certification for online marketing associates and entry-level practitioners. Designed for those with little online marketing experience, the OMCA demonstrates foundational knowledge of online marketing concepts and generally accepted practices across multiple digital marketing disciplines.
Who Should Apply?
What Duke Courses qualify?
How to Apply
OMCP is the industry’s premier certification for online marketing professionals who have completed extensive training from qualified providers. Designed for those with more extensive online marketing experience, the OMCP demonstrates a thorough knowledge of online marketing concepts and best practices across one or more digital marketing disciplines.
Who Should Apply?
What Duke Courses qualify?
How to Apply
Please note that admission requirements for enrollment in this program differ from requirements for OMCP certification, should you choose to pursue it.
Have attained at least 18 years of age
- Possess word processing and internet skills.
- Be fluent in the English language (including reading and writing).
- Have a familiarity with computers, how online programs work, and comfort in using them.
- Possess reliable internet access and a valid email account. (Personal email accounts are preferred as they are less likely to trigger fire walls and spam filters.)
- Meet the computer technical requirements specifications listed on this site.
- Pay tuition in full, or have a loan certified by Duke Continuing studies for tuition amount only, prior to being granted access to the program.
- Duke Continuing Studies must be notified of loan status and/or full payment before granting student access to program.
- Test drive the program! Send an email to email@example.com with your name and email address in the body of the email. A password will be sent via email granting time-limited access to the product demo.
Admission is discretionary. The office of Duke Continuing Studies, Professional Certificate Programs, requires students be a least 18 years of age and meet minimum suitability standards. Students are not matriculated Duke University students and university student privileges do not apply to Continuing Studies students.
Duke Continuing Studies reserves the exclusive right, at its sole and absolute discretion, to withhold registration or require withdrawal from the program of any student or applicant.
The materials used in this course, including video lessons, guides, quizzes and tests, are copyrighted. They are intended for individual use by registered students. Unauthorized or illegal use, or attempted unauthorized or illegal use, of these materials may result in a suspension and/or cancellation of the user’s account.
- Required to first complete the Digital Marketing Certified Associate (DMCA) course
- Complete six (6) of the advanced courses of your choice
- Attain a minimum score of 80% on one of the offered tests for each course
Note: Additional short courses available are optional training and have no grading requirement towards earning the certificate.
Step 1: Complete Required Digital Marketing Certified Associate Course
Note this course is built into the program and does not have to be purchased or registered for separately.
- Digital Marketing Certified Associate (DMCA)
Step 2: Complete Six Advanced Modules of Your Choice
Note students may complete all courses below if time allows at no additional cost.
- Social Media
- Mobile Marketing
- Content Marketing
- Web Analytics
- Conversion Optimization
- Email Marketing
Quizzes and Testing
The quizzes located throughout each course test students’ knowledge to help prepare them for the cumulative test at the end of each course. Quizzes are not graded assignments, but they will help students determine their level of understanding prior to taking the final assessment for each course. During this time, students may access other courses and continue their learning if they choose to take the assessment at a later time.
One graded test per course or sub-course is required, and students must pass with at least 80% accuracy. Tests are timed and are in a multiple choice format. Students will receive their grade upon completion of each test. Students may attempt the module quizzes as many times as they like, but after three final test attempts they must request additional attempts individually. A waiting period of three days (DMCA courses) or seven days (all other courses) is required for all attempts after the first three.
The following minimum technical requirements are supported*:
- Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, 1GB RAM, Flash player 11
- Mac OS X, 1GB RAM, Flash player 11
- iOS 8, Android 4 (for apps)
Students must also have the following:
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Reliable internet connection with a bandwidth of at least 1Mpbs (typical DSL is 1.5 to 6Mbs) and web browser (Firefox, Chrome or Safari)
- E-mail account (to be able to register and to receive e-mail from the system regarding registration, course status, etc.)
*Course materials, such as streaming video lessons, are generally accessible via smart phones, but some functionality may be limited or unavailable. Other devices such as Blackberries may not be supported.
Technical questions should be directed to our affiliate, Simplilearn, by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule & Registration
Registration is ongoing; therefore students can begin the program when it is convenient for them! Registration is not available June 23 - June 30 annually due to the close of the fiscal year for the university.
Note: our enrollment/registration system is a separate external system from that used for your online training and therefore access to online materials is not an automated process upon your registration and subsequent payment. Please allow a time delay of up to 5 business days to receive details via email regarding online access. This delay will not impact your “allotted” completion time for the program.
To enroll and recieve program access:
- Register for this program
- Pay in full or have loan certified (for tuition amount only) by Duke Continuing Studies
- Upon completing the first three requirements, expect to receive within five (5) business days an email with login instructions.
- (Please register with a secure, personal email account, not a work account as they are less likely to trigger fire walls and spam filters and will guarantee continual access if employment conditions should change.)
- Once you receive your access email log in and begin your coursework.
- Please note your 12 months of access begins on the date the access email is sent to you not when you access the program for the first time. There is a calendar within the learning system to assist you with keeping track of time remaining in your 12 month window to complete the program.
- Register Online using a credit card with our secure, real-time registration system. Add the course to your shopping cart and follow the instructions for checking out.
- Register by Phone at 919-684-6259 during our business hours (Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm EST) to register.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is Simplilearn?
Duke Continuing Studies has partnered with Simplilearn, an online training provider, to offer this program.
Is this curriculum designed and taught by Duke faculty?
The curriculum is neither designed nor taught by Duke faculty, but was developed by subject matter experts in the field and is taught by individuals working in the industry.
Who should enroll in this program?
Students new to the digital marketing industry, as well as those with experience, are welcome to enroll in the program. However, those with work experience in the industry are more likely to move quickly through the program than those who may be encountering the industry concepts/topics for the first time.
Are there any prerequisites for this program?
While there are no prerequisites needed to enroll in the Digital Media and Marketing program, obtaining OMCP certification does mandate additional requirements be met. Visit OMCP for details on obtaining certification.
How long do students have access to this online program?
Students will have access to this program for 12 months from the date the access email is sent from Duke Continuing Studies.
How long does the program take to complete?
This certificate program is an estimated 350 hours of combined instruction/study time that must be completed within 12 months from the date the access/login email is sent. While completion time will vary by student, it is recommended that students commit between 5 and 10 hours per week to the coursework. Students should plan to begin their studies immediately upon being granted access.
Is this program offered online only?
Yes, this is a self-paced program and is only offered in online format.
Are books included in the cost of this program?
No, there are no books required for this program. Self-downloadable study guides for most modules are provided to aid in the note-taking process and to provide students with a takeaway they can reference in the future.
Do I have to log on at certain times on certain days?
No, these modules are completely self-paced so students may schedule their coursework as they so desire within the allotted access time.
Will the Digital Media and Marketing staff assist me in finding a position?
It is incumbent upon the students to seek their own employment through their own endeavors. Duke Office of Continuing Studies provides no assistance with job search, career placement and/or internships, nor do we make any claim or warrant that this program will result in obtaining a position as a result of completion.
When is registration open?
Students may register anytime except during the week of June 24-30 annually. Online registration is available 24/7 and the Office of Continuing Studies is open via phone (excluding Duke holidays) for registration at 919 684-6259 (toll free 866-edu-duke) Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8am and 5pm EST.
What is the refund policy for these courses?
There are no refunds given for online courses and tuition cannot be applied to other programs offered by Duke Continuing Studies.
Is access to a computer required during this program?
This is an exclusively online program and access to a reliable computer is required for the duration of the program.
What are the technical requirements for accessing this online program?
See the Requirements section.
After registering, when will students receive additional program details?
Two criteria must be met to in order to receive additional program details for accessing the curriculum. The first being receipt of full payment or notice of loan (for tuition amount only) certified by Duke Continuing studies, and second, the return receipt of the signed program policy to the Duke program manager. Only then will registered students be emailed, during regular business hours M-F, log-in/access information. Please note: a delay of up to five business days may occur before you receive this log-in information although typically the timeframe for receiving login/access information is much shorter.
Are extensions granted to students who request them?
A one-time 60 day extension may be granted to students who demonstrate in writing (via email to email@example.com) the reason they require an extension. Requests will be considered by the Program Manager and a response will be delivered via email. It is at the discretion of the Program Manager to determine if the situation warrants an extension.
If a student is having difficulty with one of the final module exams, can they move on to another module?
Students must first complete the DMCA course first before progressing to advanced content. Once DMCA has been completed, any of the advanced and elective courses may be taken in any order desired by the student.
How do students earn a certificate of completion from Duke Continuing Studies?
Students who complete the DMCA course and six advanced courses of their choice by attaining a minimum score of 80% on one test for each course within their allotted access period will be eligible to receive a certificate of completion.
Students that fail to complete the total of seven courses and their accompanying tests before the access period expires will not be eligible for a certificate.
Note: completion of elective courses, labs, quizzes, or updated content have no bearing on students’ certificate status.
Upon completion of one or more courses how do students earn their OMCP credential?
Upon completing the first qualifying OMCP course, students interested in pursuing their OMCP credential, should register at http://www.omcp.org/ to have completion verified. Visit the OMCP certification website for more details.
Can students download program files to save for later use?
Study guides are available for download and may not be available for all modules.
The materials used in this course, including video lessons, workbooks, quizzes and tests, are copyrighted. They are intended for individual use by registered students only. Unauthorized or illegal use, or attempted unauthorized or illegal use, of these materials may result in a suspension and/or cancellation of the user’s account.
Are Mimic Pro simulations included in the course?
Yes, Mimic Pro simulations are included in the Duke Digital Media and Marketing Certificate program. With the Mimic Pro simulations, students can emulate the role of marketing manager for an e-commerce company. These simulations are powered by Google data that allow students to perform digital marketing experiments, develop virtual search engine marketing campaigns, gestate landing pages, email campaigns, and operate a variety of other marketing tasks using virtual money.
How can students contact technical support?
Technical questions should be directed to our affiliate, Simplilearn, by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Hours of support are from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday, Pacific time. Technical support issues submitted prior to 2:00 pm Monday through Friday will typically be handled the same day, and in most cases no later than the next business day.
The following industry experts deliver course content for this program via pre-recorded videos within the Simplilearn learning environment.
Stéphane Hamel is a Google Product Strategy/Expert and is named the Most Influential Industry Contributor by the Digital Analytics Association. He has made significant contributions to the industry, including creating the Digital Analytics Maturity Model.
Matt Bailey is the founder and president of SiteLogic, and the author of “Internet Marketing An Hour A Day”. With over a decade in the web marketing industry, Matt excels in combining his marketing background with programming know-how to help companies create comprehensive strategies that improve internet presence and conversions.
Matt also serves on the Advisory Board for Incisive Media's Search Engine Strategies Conferences. As one of the conference's highest-rated speakers, he presents at the Search Engine Strategies Conferences around the world.
Brad Geddes is the author of the well-respected book “Advanced Google Adwords”, and founder of Certified Knowledge, an online source where the Paid Search community comes together for PPC training, tools, and advice.
Brad makes it his mission to share his expertise in Paid Search with online marketers so they can build successful online campaigns that generate business. That means he doesn't hold back, he shares every aspect of paid search and dissects the secrets of the industry. Brad frequently writes columns for Search Engine Land, co-moderates the AdWords forum on Webmaster World, has spoken at more than 35 conferences, and has lead more than 60 AdWords seminars.
Through his experiences, training, writing, and speaking, Brad has demystified the world of Paid Search. Take advantage of Brad's expertise as you go behind the scenes in order to master the systems and strategies of Paid Search.
Please note that the monthly mentoring webinars are led by industry subject matter experts.
Tuition & Funding Sources
$3195 (September registrants will receive a $200 savings for a discounted tuition of $2995.)
Payment is due in full upon registration. Loans must be certified and approved by Duke Continuing Studies prior to starting program.
There are no books required for this program. Study guides for each module will be available for self-download.
Do you have a group (Duke or non-Duke entity) interested in training?
Contact the Program Manager for details.
The funding options listed below may not be applicable to all programs at this time. Please contact the organization offering the funding to see if you qualify and if the funds can be used for the program in which you are interested.
Our Professional Certificate programs are non-credit (not degree applicable); therefore, they are NOT eligible for federal education loans. DO NOT SUBMIT FAFSA FORMS for these programs. Some of our programs may offer payment plans. Please see individual program web pages for those details.
Duke Continuing Studies courses are non-degree offerings. Therefore, loans (Wells Fargo Graduate loan, Sallie Mae Smart Option Undergraduate loan, etc.) cannot be construed to imply any degree-seeking status.
Duke Continuing Studies (DCS) will not certify (approve) loan amounts greater than the amount of the tuition, regardless of the amount approved by the lending agency. DCS reserves the right to reject any loan which exceeds the tuition amount. DCS will not be responsible for refunding monies in excess of the tuition. Students needing to secure loan funding for books or other items in relation to the program are responsible for making separate loan arrangements with the funding agency. No loan funds will be refunded to the student.
Should a student choose to borrow less than the tuition amount, the balance must be paid prior to the close of the registration period.
Sallie Mae Smart Option Loan
To apply for this private student loan, visit Sallie Mae’s website, and click the I’m ready to apply button. The following application should populate with the pertinent information for Duke Continuing Studies.
- Under Loan Needs, select Student and then Undergraduate degree.
- Select Career training school.
- Select North Carolina from the drop down menu.
- Under name of school begin typing DUKE PROFESSIONAL, then select DUKE PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATES, DURHAM, NC, 00292099 when it populates.
- Click Continue.
- Next, You've confirmed that you want a Smart Option Student Loan for DUKE PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATES will appear.
- Click Continue.
- Fill out Basic Information.
- Fill out Permanent Address section.
- Fill out School Information.
- DUKE PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATES, DURHAM, NC, 00292099 should already have populated for the school.
- Select Certificate for Degree/Certificate of Study.
- Select your Specialty or select Other if it is not shown in the options.
- Select Half Time for Enrollment Status.
- Select Certificate/Continuing Ed for Grade Level.
- Enter your Loan period begins and loan period end dates.
- Enter your Anticipated Graduation / Completion.
- Enter loan amount. NOTE: This may not exceed the cost of tuition.
- Estimated financial assistance should be $0.00.
- Under Loan request, click Use calculated need.
- Do not check any box in typical school expenses.
- Follow the remaining loan application prompts.
Wells Fargo Graduate Loan
Please note that Wells Fargo is no longer accepting new applications for their private student loans. However, students with an outstanding balance on a Wells Fargo private student loan may be eligible to be borrowers on a new private loan. See here for details.
Duke Hospital Employees
Duke University Hospital employees may be eligible for support from the Employee Development Initiative (EDI), which helps employees pay for short-term career-related programs, workshops, and seminars. For more information, visit the Employee Development Initiative site or call Duke Hospital Human Resources at (919) 668-2170.
Workforce Investment Act
The WIA provides professional and basic skills training services to those who have been unable to find employment. Please keep in mind that this process can be lengthy, so plan to apply well in advance of the program start date. For more information on eligibility, the application process, or to find your local Workforce Development Board, visit the NC JobLink Career Center website.
AmeriCorps Education Awards are available only for AmeriCorps volunteers and can be used for educational expenses for non-degree courses, such as Continuing Education courses offered by qualified schools. For more information on qualified schools and programs, contact the National Service Trust at 1-800-942-2677, or visit the FAQ page of the AmeriCorps website.
The Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program provides up to $4,000 (over 2 years) of Financial Assistance for military spouses who are pursuing a license, certification, or Associates degree in a portable career field and occupation. For more information, please visit the MyCAA website.
Policies & Procedures
There are no refunds or cancellations for online courses.
Course Extension Policy
A one-time 60 day extension may be granted to students who demonstrate in writing (via email to email@example.com) the reason required to complete the program. Requests will be considered by the Program Manager and a response will be delivered via email. It is at the discretion of the Program Manager to determine if the situation warrants an extension.
If an extension is granted the student must complete the program within 60 days. No further extensions will be granted. If a student cannot finish the program within that extension window, and desires to finish the program, they will be responsible for purchasing the program again in its entirety at full tuition.
Course fees and expenses are sometimes tax deductible. Please consult an accountant concerning this matter. Non-credit programs at Duke Continuing Studies do not generate 1098-T forms, in accordance with the following IRS guideline:
Instructions for Forms 1098-E and 1098-T published by the Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service, states “You do not have to file Form 1098-T or furnish a statement for: Courses for which no academic credit is offered, even if the student is otherwise enrolled in a degree program…”