Applications open December 15, 2022
1. Please click on the appropriate link to start your application:
- Middle School Application
- High School Application
2. Then click on the Apply Now button.
3. The next screen will prompt you to login.
4. You will have the choice to either create a new account if you are a new student, or to login with your username and password if you have a previous account with our office.
Note: if you applied for a Duke Pre-College or Youth Program in the past, you may already have an account. Try using the forgot username or forgot password links or, if you are unsure, you are welcome to email us at email@example.com for assistance.
If you are a new Pre-College student applicant under 18 and are creating a new account, please enter a frequently-accessed email address of your Parent/Guardian. This email address will be the primary method of contact for program information, billing, and other updates. The rest of the student profile should contain your student information, including your name, your date of birth and grade level.
5. After your Youth Participant Profile is created, click on the button to Start the application, fill out all required fields, and attached the required documents.
6. You will receive email verification of your account information and will be prompted to set a password. As you work on the application, you can save your application, and return to it later, by returning to login with your username and password, and clicking on My Applications.
Note: Our online application asks fora valid, frequently-accessed student email. School email accounts are not recommended because these emails may be blocked or treated as SPAM. Your student email address will be used to established credentials on the Duke learning management system, Sakai, where course information will be posted, courses will take place, and program information will be posted during program dates.
7. Required supplemental documents required as part of a complete application include:
- A copy of your school transcript is required to determine acceptance. It does not need to be official but must show student’s name, current grade, name of current school and include ALL grades from current school. (Note: For 6th–8th grade students, your most recent report card can serve as your transcript. For 9th grade students, a current 9th grade transcript is sufficient. You will be notified if any grades are needed.)
- A formal resume detailing academic awards and recognitions as well as extra-curricular activities. (Note: Required for high school applicants only.)
- A one-page personal statement describing why you are interested in the program. (Note: For 6th-8th grade students, other options are to record a video no longer than 3 minutes or create a spoken word, poem, or song to respond to these questions.)
- Why you wish to attend Pre-College
- What you hope to gain from attending your chosen course
- What you will contribute to the course
- Experience and involvement in activities associated with the course
- Other information you wish to share about yourself
- Upload videos HERE and name file using lastname_firstname_personalstatement.
- If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants who are not US Citizens should exhibit English Language Proficiency by one of the following:
- Evidence of attendance at an international high school taught in English
- English Language Test Scores of a 90 on TOEFL or a 7.0 IELTS
- Demonstrate English proficiency through an oral interview conducted by staff from the Duke English for International Students (EIS) program to finalize admission at a cost of $100 (USD)
- Please know that a B-2 Tourist Visa is required to attend in-person sessions.
After you click on “Submit your Application”, you will be prompted to pay a NON-REFUNDABLE $150 application fee.
Application and Admission Dates:
- Early Admission
- Apply by February 1, 2023
- Admission letter will be sent via email February 15, 2023
- Full program fee due March 15, 2023
- Regular Admission
- Apply by April 1, 2023
- Admission letter will be sent via email April 14, 2023
- Full program fee due May 5, 2023
- Late Admission
- Applications received after April 1, 2023 will be considered for any courses still open
- Admission letters sent via email April 21, 2023
- Full Payment is due May 5, 2023
*Full payment of all program fees paid by March 1, 2023 will receive a 10% discount