Becoming a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ entitles you to use the distinguished CFP® mark, setting you apart in the financial services industry.
Duke University’s Certificate in Financial Planning program enables you to satisfy the CFP Board’s education requirement, which is one of four requirements necessary to sit for the CFP® exam. This program benefits both experienced professionals seeking to advance their careers and those entering the field for the first time. Taught by working professionals, our accelerated learning option allows you to master the eight major domains covered on the CFP® exam in nine months.
Upon successful completion of all required courses, you will receive a Certificate in Financial Planning.
Please note: While the Certificate in Financial Planning program is a CFP Board registered program, it is not a program geared toward teaching test-taking tips and strategies for passing the CFP® exam
Program Highlights include:
- Live Virtual format
- Convenient alternate weekend format
- Compressed 9 month schedule**
- Multiple Instructors who themselves have passed the CFP® Exam and are industry practitioners
- Online resources such as question bank/videos etc.
- Program registered with Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc.
- Graduates eligible for CFP® Exam
- Certificate earned from Duke University, a recognized leader in educational excellence
*A US level 4-year Bachelor’s degree is required for admission to this program. Consideration for exception to the degree requirement may be considered depending on financial work experience. Contact the Program Manager to discuss.
**Due to holidays or other scheduling conflicts, this program may, on occasion, require class meetings on successive weekends.
General Financial Planning Principles, Professional Conduct, and Regulation
Risk Management, Insurance, and Employee Benefits Planning
Retirement Savings and Income Planning
Capstone Case Course (Financial Planning Development)
This course meets on alternating weekends. Please see the schedule section on the program web page for exact dates.
- Four-year degree from an accredited university.* Any requests for exceptions to the above admissions requirements must be made in writing to the Program Director. Approval of exceptions are at the discretion of the Program Director.
- Computer literacy and access to a computer
- A valid email account, and fluency in English, including reading and writing.
- Resume or biography
- Tuition paid in full or loan approved prior to start date
*Students with a degree earned from a university outside the United States will need to verify eligibility of their institution with the CFP Board before applying for this program.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Financial Planning : Required Course