The Certificate Program in Legal Nurse Consulting is for registered nurses (RN) who are interested in applying their medical skills and expertise to the legal field. The program's objective is to prepare registered nurses (RN) to perform analysis of health care issues and their related outcomes for the legal profession or other health care organizations.
The program is divided into six modules, which outline the essential areas of legal nurse consulting.
Module 1- Introduction to Legal Nurse Consulting
Module 2- Legal Theory and Fundamentals
Module 3- Case Analysis for Long Term Care and Medical Malpractice
Module 4- Case Analysis for Personal Injury and Worker's Compensation
Module 5- LNC Role in Discovery: Trial Preparation and Forensic Nursing
Module 6- Business Principles
At least one assignment or test will be required for each module. Most assignments are related to or involve a single case study.
The program meets once a week for 14 weeks. Upon completion of the program, students will be eligible for up to 42 CNEs. The program has been approved for continuing nursing education (CNE) credits by the North Carolina Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Both the classroom and online Legal Nurse Consulting programs are non-credit certificate programs offered by Duke University Continuing Studies and are not affiliated with Duke University Health System.
All registrants must have an active US state or multi-state registered nurse license.
- Recommend a minimum of 2000 hours of work experience as an RN
- Recognition/aptitude and comfort level in learning to "market/brand" yourself in a consultant role
- Fluency in English (including reading and writing)
- Computer literacy, internet access, and valid email account required
- Payment of tuition in advance of program start (except in a case where a loan payment may be received from an agency after the start of the program). Payments can be made via MasterCard, Visa, American Express, personal check, loan or cashier’s check/money order
* Please note that the qualifications for our program differ from the qualifications necessary to apply for the LNCC examination.