Below are Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) from OLLI members and prospective members. Please click on the question to see the answer. If you have a question that isn’t listed, please email email@example.com.
Membership follows the academic calendar and runs from September through June. Those who join after March 1 will be considered members through June 30 for the entire following academic year. Please see the membership section of this website for more information.
Log in to the student portal. Click on “My Profile” in the left menu. Next, scroll down to “Membership Information.” There you will find the date your membership expires. If you do not see “Membership Information,” then you do not have an active OLLI membership. To purchase a membership, either: 1) Log in to your account, click on “Special Requests” on the left, add the OLLI membership to your cart and proceed to check out; or 2) purchase your membership when you register for courses (if you do not have an active membership, one will be added to your cart automatically).
Most OLLI members are between 50 and 90. While OLLI is a welcoming community for all ages looking to further their love of learning, our courses are developed and designed for this audience. Our members enjoy learning with peers and from peers.
A viewable PDF of the OLLI catalog is posted on learnmore.duke.edu and a full listing of current OLLI courses can be found under the Course tab of this website. We are not distributing printed copies of the catalog at this time.
OLLI records selected Zoom courses each term, based on course size, instructors' permission, and other factors. Recordings are made available only to students enrolled in that course. If a course is recorded, it is noted in the course description. By registering for the course and remaining in class after the disclosure has been read, you are acknowledging that your participation will be recorded.
Yes, you can. Recorded courses are listed in the catalog. You must register for the course to view the recording and, by registering, you will receive all emails and communication from the instructor(s). Recordings are available in the learnmore student portal and will be available until 30 days after the last day of the term.
Yes! We are committed to offering both in-person and online courses, given the widespread popularity of both formats.
Yes! Currently, at least half of OLLI’s courses are offered online via Zoom. Because so many courses are online, we are able to reach Duke Alumni and others from across the country and internationally. Last year, we had several hundred members attend courses from outside of North Carolina, including Los Angeles, Paris, London, and New Zealand. All course times listed are Eastern Time.
Before you contact the office, please try reestablishing your password or username. Here are the steps:
- Please go to student login: https://learnmore.duke.edu/portal/logon.do?method=load
- On the left side of the site click, in the “I have an account” section, and enter your username (e.g., Xnnnnn). If you forgot your username, click on “Forgot Username” to recover it.
- If you forgot your password, click on “Forgot Password”. This will open a page that prompts you to enter your username and then click continue.
- In a minute, you will get an email directing you to click on a link to a secure site to set your password.
- Visit that link and set the password.
- Once you are done, you can go back to the student login page above and use the new password just created. Note: if you fail to log in three times please email firstname.lastname@example.org to have your account unlocked.
Your course links are located in the Student Portal. Once you have registered for your course, you will be able to log into the Student Portal to see the information about your class. For detailed directions click here.
OLLI members who register for online courses will find the links to their course recordings in their Student Portal, which is found on the same website as that used for course registration. For details, please refer to www.olliatduke.online/recorded.html.
It's possible that your browser has timed out. Write down the time in the video it stopped playing then refresh your browser to make the video reload. You may need to log back into the student portal to get back to the video. Once you’ve reloaded the video, you can fast-forward to the time you wrote down. If this doesn’t work, please email email@example.com.
Log in to the student portal at learnmore.duke.edu/olli. On the left side menu, click on the third option, “Change My Username or Password.” On the right side of the screen, there are three boxes where you can enter a new password. Then click the blue “Save” button.
Unless you have changed your username, it will start with a capital “X” followed by all numbers. The system will not accept a lowercase “x.” Also, if you are copying and pasting, make sure there are no added spaces or other symbols in your password. Passwords are case-sensitive.
Our website offers different ways to search for courses:
- Advanced Search Courses Link: The most direct way to find your course is to go to learnmore.duke.edu/olli, click on “Search Courses” located under the photo on the black horizontal menu at the far right, and enter the name of the course or the four-digit course ID number. Click on the link to the course, click on “Add to Cart” and follow the steps to checkout.
- Search by Day of the Week, by Category, or by Location: Go to learnmore.duke.edu/olli, click the down-triangle labeled “Show” under “Courses” and use the tab “View by day” or “View by category.” Click on the course title to get to the course page, click on “Add to Cart” and follow the steps to checkout.
- Course Search Box: You may also enter the course ID number or part of the title into the search box that appears on every page at the top right, under the shopping cart symbol. This will search the entire site and may also retrieve results from the PDF version of the course catalog. Click on the appropriate link for the course, click on “Add to Cart” and follow the steps to checkout.
It is important you check the correct credit card brand when you are checking out. For example, if you enter a Visa card number and check MasterCard by mistake, the system will go into a long hold while it tries to reconcile that the number and card brand don’t match. It will eventually return to normal, with an error message alerting you to reenter your payment information.
We cannot accept paper registration forms. All the OLLI staff and registration team are working remotely; our registration team is not in the office to answer the phone nor do they have access to use secure credit card terminals. The only way to register is through the online system. If you are experiencing issues with online registration, email firstname.lastname@example.org.