Academic Program Assistant (1)
Academic Program Assistants work closely with Academic Coordinators to ensure that all academic aspects of Duke Pre-College Programs are running smoothly. Their tasks vary daily depending on class and academic field trip needs, as well as often providing coverage in a classroom or online course to meet the 1:10 staff to student ratio requirement. They may facilitate some student group activities and oversee supplies and inventory. While Academic Program Assistants will typically be required to be on campus Monday through Friday, they are also expected to provide support during some weekend events, such as arrival and departure day.
*Although the Academic Program Assistant is required to be highly visible while on campus, living on campus is not required but is an option.
Successful candidates will have completed at least two years of undergraduate coursework; classroom experience with middle and/or high school students is preferred; have effective communication and interpersonal skills; experience using Zoom and learning management systems such as Sakai; and will be able to provide support and assistance to program participants and staff.
- Maintain the highest level of attention to risk management and safety for staff and students.
- Understand and adhere to FERPA, HIPPA, TITLE IX, and confidentiality guidelines.
- Possess cultural sensitivity awareness and a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Work with the Duke Pre-College administrative staff.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of all student and staff materials having reviewed and learned these prior to the start of the program.
- Be active on campus during Duke Pre-College summer programs dates and maintain high visibility and availability for the duration of the program for risk management purposes.
- Lead, guide, and support students and staff and set the tone of the site through a consistent, positive interpersonal style while performing job duties.
- Remain committed to working as a team player and have the ability to work independently when appropriate.
- Uphold all Duke University policies as applied to the Duke Pre-College Summer Programs.
- Understand that this position is a full-time commitment, such that having another job or taking a class during the contracted period is prohibited.
- Perform additional duties as deemed necessary by Main Office and administrative staff.
- Be flexible to address academic needs as they arise.
- Work in unison with and receive mentorship from the Academic Coordinator.
- Assist with coordinating instructional logistics as designated by the Academic Coordinator.
- Communicate with instructional and administrative staff prior to the program.
- Assist staff and students with Sakai as needed.
- Assist with inventorying and storing all instructional materials at the end of the program and aid the residential and logistics staff with other closing duties, as needed.
- Lead a designated academic component in the program, such as academic expos or field trips.
- Supervise students during transitions.
- Should driving be required, provide documentation of a clean driving record from the last three years and be comfortable driving Duke University vehicles.
- Agree not to consume alcoholic beverages on Duke University’s campus, nor be on campus in an inebriated state.
- Successfully pass the Duke University criminal background check and online training for working with minors.
- Agree to adhere to all duties before, during, and after the program as outlined in the staff materials.
Dates and Compensation:
Salary term: June 12 – July 28, 2023
A salary of $4,200 plus meals and activities fees, as well as campus housing as needed